DISCUSS THIS IN OUR REDSKINS FAN FORUM!
The Washington Redskins open their home season this Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. Both teams enter the game 1-1, with the Redskins splitting on the road against the New Orleans Saints and the St. Louis Rams. The Bengals opened the 2012 Monday Night Football schedule by getting thrashed by the Baltimore Ravens in a game that must have embarrassed more than a few Bengals players and fans. However, they bounced back on a short week to win the Battle of Ohio over their division rival Cleveland Browns. The Bengals are led by QB Andy Dalton [93.9 passer rating], TB BenJarvus Green-Ellis [4.3 ypc], and WR A.J. Green [12 catches] on offense and ILB Rey Mauluga [15 tackles] and DL Geno Atkins [2 sacks] on defense. Of course, we know the head coach is Marvin Lewis, who spent one year in D.C. babysitting Steve Spurrier and coaching a top ten defense.
To get further perspective on the Bengals, I went to Mickey Mentzer of the Cincinnati Bengals superfan site WhoDeyFans. My questions and his answers follow. Enjoy.
1. What is your early take on the 2012 Bengals and whether or not they will be able to match or exceed last year's surprising playoff team?
The Bengals flopped on Monday Night Football to open the season. I think that the Bengals were not as bad as they looked and the Ravens are not as good as they looked. Last week the Bengals handled theBbrowns but continued to struggle on defense which was a high point for this team last season. If the Bengals can not figure out the defensive issues (secondary is a huge concern) I think it will be tough to make it back to the post season.
2. The Bengals seemed banged up a bit, with Carlos Dunlap, Jason Allen, Robert Geathers, Leon Hall and Kevin Zeitler all on this week's injured list. Which injuries concern you the most for the game against the Redskins?
The Bengals need Dunlap to get healthy. He is a disruptive force up front and improves he whole unit when in the game. The offensive line is also a concern having lost a center and guard already for the season the interior has not much time playing together and it shows in the lack of chemistry.
3. Robert Griffin III has been a major headache for the Saints and Rams defenses. The Bengals just gave up 27 points to the Browns and Brandon Weeden had a passer rating of 114.9. What's the plan for stopping RG3 and how successful do you think the Bengals defense can be?
RG3 has been very good do far this season. All rookie qb's struggle at times and can have a terrible performance. I am hoping that is the case this week. If he continues playing the same as he has it could be a long day for the bengals defense.
4. What areas of weakness on Washington do you think the Bengals can exploit? [Believe me, there are weaknesses.]
Secondary. The bengals have a great young qb and outstanding receivers in aj green, Hawkins, jones and Gresham. The redskins secondary is banged up and has given up more than 300 Yds in the first two games. I look for the bengals to pick on the redskins defensive backfield an make this game a shootout.
5. Who wins and what's the score?
Have to go bengals in a high scoring game. 34-27.