Fred Smoot isn't worried when he should be, Phillip Daniels accepts the inevitable, the Wizards look at a kid from Spain, and Washington, D.C. prepares to become the center of the hockey universe. But first, our top story.
The Nationals won a game with good starting pitching, decent hitting, and -- believe it or not -- solid work from the bullpen. Also, third baseman Ryan Zimmerman has an 18-game hitting streak.
1. Phillip Daniels doesn't mind backing up Brian Orakpo. Glad to hear it, Phil. Hope ya make the team. Read it.
2. OT Mike Williams believes his comeback will pay off for him and the Redskins. Read it.
3. LB and special teams standout Khary Campbell rejected a salary offer from the Redskins and will leave the team. Not good news for the Redskins. Campbell has been a valuable backup and a leader on kick coverage. I guess this is why the Skins drafted 2 linebackers last week. Read it.
4. CB Fred Smoot says he isn't worried about losing his job to 3rd round pick Kevin Barnes of Maryland. Memo to Fred: The way you covered last year, you should be worried about losing your job to me. Read it.
5. Matt Mosley of ESPN thinks the Redskins should go after two Arizona castoffs: RB Edgerrin James and DE Travis LaBoy. So this is what it has come to for the Skins -- lusting after guys even the Cardinals don't want.
[1-3] pitched well and the bullpen somehow held on, as the Nats
defeated Philadelphia 4-1, snapping the Phillies 5-game winning streak.
2. Nice to see the bullpen hold a lead for a change. Read it.