The Washington Capitals were winners on two accounts tonight. First, most NHL media analysts list the Washington Capitals as a trade deadline winner in their obtainment of G Cristobal Huet, Sergei Fedorov, and Matt Cooke. Then tonight, Brooks Laich tallied 4 points, 2 goals and 2 assists to lead the capitals to a huge 4-1 win over Minnesota.
Laich gave the Capitals a 1-0 lead just 2 minutes and 41 seconds into the game, taking a breakaway pass from Tomas Fleischmann. Laich put it right under the legs of Wild G Nicklas Backstrom. Caps took a 2-0 lead in the first period on D Shaone Morrisonn's first goal of the season. Congrats to Shaone! Morrisonn has had a heckuva season for the Caps playing strong defense and allowing Mike Green to play a more offensive based role. Morrisonn's goal was a wicked rebound slap shot that Backstrom never saw.
Branko Radivojevic scored at 13:10 in the second period to pull the Wild within 1 of the Caps. That would change less than two minutes later with Eric Fehr's first gaol of the season, a rebounded goal assisted by Laich and Tom Poti. Five minutes later, Brooks Laich added his second goal of the game and 4th point of the season.
Scoring died in the third period as the Caps held on to win 4-1. G Olaf Kolzig stopped 34 of 35 shots in response to the Huet trade. Good for you Olie!
Carolina Hurricanes defeated the New Jersey Devils 2-1 to maintain a 5 point lead over the Capitals in the Southeast Division. They did however pick up 2 points in the conference standings and now sit 3 points out of Philadelphia for the 8th spot.
Multiple Point Scorers:
- Brooks Laich - 4 points, 2 goals, 2 assists, +4
- Tomas Fleischmann - 2 assists,+4
DCPSR Player of the Game:
BROOKS LAICH - 2 Goals, 2 Assists, +4
* Alexander Ovechkin's streak of not scoring a goal was extended to 5 games
* Alexander Semin snapped a 5 game scoring streak but scoring ZIP tonight
* Nicklas Backstrom has not scored a goal in 18 consecutive games, scoring his last netter on January 17 against Edmonton
* After being on a tear, Mike Green has only 2 goals in the last 18 games
* Brooks Laich now has 4 goals in the last 4 games